Some of the most unassuming spices can be amazing sources of health. Not many would guess that the small and ordinary looking cumin seed can become your faithful weight loss aide. A study published in the journal Complimentary Therapies in Clinical Practice was the first to reveal the potential cumin seeds have for dieting. Using this spice can help you lose weight quicker and influence the body’s fat profile in a positive way by reducing the levels of harmful lipids in the blood.
Research on Cumin and Body Fat
Iranian scientists from the Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences included 88 women who were considered overweight or obese into their study. They randomly divided them into two groups.
- One group ate 3 grams of cumin powder daily, mixed into 5 grams of yogurt.
- The control group consumed yogurt too, but without any additions.
- Both groups received dietary advice and reduced their daily caloric intake by 500 calories.
Starwest Botanicals Organic Ground Cumin Seed Powder, 1 Pound Bulk Spice
Now $13.69You Save $2.31
Different body measurements and parameters were taken before the study and after 3 months of dieting.
- Women who were eating cumin, lost 3 pounds (1.4 kilograms) more compared to those in the non-cumin group.
- More impressively, the cumin group members decreased body fat percentage by 14.64%—almost triple the 4.91% loss posted by the control group—apparently due to the addition of the fat-burning spice.
The women in the treatment group also experienced reduced levels of fasting cholesterol, triglycerides (a type of fat associated with atherosclerosis, heart disease and diabetes) and LDL (bad) cholesterol, while their levels of HDL (good) cholesterol increased.
Furthermore, the ladies who took cumin had larger reductions in body mass index and waist circumference.
The authors of the study concluded that cumin powder can significantly boost the success of a weight reduction diet.
To learn more about how Cumin works and how to consume it check out Healthy And Natural World
Feature Image Source